Please read this risk waiver carefully before signing. Entry into Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks (NSCF) Town Race Series events is permitted only for those competitors who have valid risk waivers signed by themselves and, where the competitor is under 18, signed also by their parent or guardian.
In consideration of the rights and privileges associated with participation in Nordic Ski Club of Fairbanks (NSCF) Activities, I have read, acknowledge, and agree to be bound by the following:
1. Identification of risk.
I understand that participation in the Town Race Series is strenuous, and may take place in sub-freezing temperatures over a variety of terrain conditions in the presence of other skiers who have varying degrees of ability (“the Activity”). Forms of competition include interval start, mass start, sprint and ski-cross. The Activity involves risk of serious injury, including permanent disability, death and other losses to self or property, due to the inactions or negligence of others. Inherent dangers and risks of the Activity include, but are not limited to: falls, adverse weather conditions such as wind and cold, frostbite, hypothermia, existing and changing snow conditions, collisions with natural or man-made objects or other skiers, variation in terrain, the failure of skiers to ski within their own ability and physical fitness levels and encounters with animals both inside and outside the borough limits.
Furthermore, I acknowledge that I am aware that by participating in an NSCF Activity there are risks to me of being exposed to COVID-19 due to the chance that I will be in close proximity to other persons. I am also aware that exposure to COVID-19 can occur in many different ways, which are not fully understood.
I understand that COVID-19 is a serious and dangerous disease that can cause serious physical injury and/or death I also understand that certain individuals are more susceptible to becoming seriously ill if they contract COVID-19, such as, but not limited to, people over the age of 65, people with serious underlying health conditions, including high blood pressure, chronic lung disease, diabetes, obesity, asthma, and those whose immune systems are compromised. I understand that if I or my children, including the actual participants in the NSCF Activity fall within one or more of these categories, there is a greater risk to us that we will contract COVI-19, or suffer severe physical injury or death, than the risk to others without those conditions.
I understand that NSCF cannot eliminate the risk of contracting COVID-19, and it is possible that by being at, and participating in a NSCF event I may contract COVID-19. It is also possible that NSCF staff and volunteers may be NEGLIGENT in putting on the event and may make mistakes when trying to eliminate or mitigate the risk of COVID-19, including the risks of contracting COVID-19, which may result in me and others contracting COVID-19. By signing this waiver, I expressly agree to assume all risks associated with my involvement in the NSCF Activity, including the risk that NSCF employees, agents, volunteers, officers, directors and officials may act negligently in relation to trying to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
2. Assumption of the risk. I agree that I am responsible for my safety while participating in the Activity and that such responsibility includes participation in the Activity only:
a) when I am both physically and psychologically prepared to participate safely,
b) after fully familiarizing myself with the venue before beginning the Activity, and
c) while using the equipment of a type and condition reasonably necessary to safely participate in the Activity.
I assume any and all risk associated with my participation in the Activity.
3. Waiver and Hold Harmless. Aware of the risk and willing to assume them, I hereby waive, release and agree to hold harmless the NSCF, and the Fairbanks North Star Borough, along with their affiliates, officers, directors, employees, agents, coaches, trainers, doctors, officials, volunteers, associated organizations, and event organizers or sponsors (“Released Parties”) from any and all claims by me or my representatives, heirs, beneficiaries, next of kin or assigns (“Releasing Parties”) who might pursue any legal action or claim on my behalf for any liability, injury, loss or damage in any way connected with my participation in the Activity, except when caused by willful or wanton misconduct.
4. Applicable Law and Venue Any claim or cause of action arising from this waiver and release of liability brought by the Releasing Parties shall be brought in the state court for the State of Alaska in the Fourth Judicial District at Fairbanks.
5. Insurance. I currently have, and agree to maintain throughout the time that I train and compete, valid and sufficient medical and accident insurance coverage. I understand that this is my sole responsibility and release all persons and entities from providing this coverage for me.
6. Photo Release. Any and all photos taken of me or my child in conjunction with activities of NSCF can be used in any promotion or publication associated with NSCF.
I HAVE READ THIS WAIVER AND RELEASE CAREFULLY AND, HAVING DONE SO, I AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS:
For Participants of Minor Age:
If athlete is less than 18 years of age then the parent or legal guardian must also sign below. This is to certify that, as the parent/guardian of this participant, I do consent to his/her agreement to be bound to each of the terms and conditions identified above.